Face Masks for the Community and Opportunities
It started simply enough in mid-April: Organizations locally and around the country were begging for masks for their essential workers. Many folks were spending their time and money to sew as many as they could, but the demand was far greater than the thousands of crafters could meet. How can we as an organization help locally?, we asked. So we launched Project Face Masks. We were a bit reluctant at first: Could we really sell 1,000 masks? The response, however, blew our expectations completely out of the water.
We sold that initial 1,000 masks in two hours — and 3,000 in 12 hours. The response was so incredible and the demand so great that we opened up another order … and then another.
As of this writing, we have:
- Donated 8,520 masks among 34 community organizations
(Read a wonderful post by one of our recipients here.)
- Sold a total of 13,840 masks
Those orders came from 43 states and D.C., totaling 1,277 participants (76 percent of whom are 107IST members).
We still have organizations who are hoping for masks, though. So, we’re making things even more enticing! From now through 9 p.m. (Pacific) on Sunday, May 31:
- Donate a set of masks, and the 107IST will match the donation (up to 250). That’s right: For every set of 5 or 8 that you donate, we’ll double it. Order here.
- Join or renew your membership, and we will donate five masks (unlimited).
- AND here’s the kicker: Each person who donates masks, either through purchase or membership, will be entered into a raffle to win:
- One pair of signed cleat from Rachel Buehler Van Hollebeke
- One of three, signed Valeri bobbleheads
- One of two, signed photobomb cutouts of Valeri
- One of three, signed pictures of Chara, Clark, or Valeri
- One of three, Timbers team-signed soccer balls
Yes, multiple purchases and guest registrations get you multiple entries.
This project has been an immense success, and we thank all of you for your support!